Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Snow...

The definition for snow is: frozen precipitation that falls in small white flakes.

To the natives here in Idaho, this year was a very very light winter, but to me, as a first time dweller in the snow, I thought it was enough to get the idea that snow is kinda fun and can be very pretty at times.  It can also be overrated, slippery, annoying and just plain cold.

We have loved the snow for the most part and made some new memories being able to play in it.  My sister, Carolyn, knew of a great hill on campus where we could go sledding.

Before we started we saw a well built snowman and just couldn't resist the picture opportunity.



After our photo-op with the snowman we turned our eyes toward the hill.  The hill looked amazingly fun from the bottom of it.  The climb up it in the snow was hard because there were no formal steps or a path to go up, so we just chose a spot and started climbing and climb we did.  It was almost straight up at some points.  Never fear though, we made it to the top (as you can tell from the picture below).  I was so nervous because I was scared that the bumps we had used on the way up to help grasp would in turn make for a bumpy ride down.  We found the smoothest part to go down and shouted "One, two, three..!"  and down the hill we went!  I don't think I have felt that much of a rush since going on the roller coasters at California Adventure for the first time.  It was amazing!  What I didn't realize (or plan on) was that on the way down I would get snow in my pants, up my nose, in my boots, down my jacket, in my hood, and everywhere else.  Note to self for next time: wear Under Armour so as to stay just a little but warmer.

This was my first time being able to go down a hill sledding!  It was amazing!!

Results= very happy and so ready to do it again!

Carolyn was with us on our first time down too!  She was the bravest because she sat in the front for the first time down.  We did hit one bump that caught her bum and made her soar for some days to come, but I know she had so much fun with us.

Carolyn and all the snow that got in our sled the first time we went down the big hill.

So we decided that once was not enough, and we went back up for another round of fun.  And another.  After that we decided it was a bit to dark where we were to go again (and frankly that hill was killer to climb up) so we decided to go to a littler hill across town by the hospital.  That was fun too, just in it's own way.


It was little enough for me to brave going down face first.  I would absolutely do it again (it was also a much smoother ride down since under us was grass and not a bunch of little plants under packed snow).

Here are some more pictures from the smaller hill.  We all took turns going down together.



It was a good time over all and we will probably be doing it again next year!

No comments: