Friday, October 16, 2009

Training Indie

I am such a proud mama!  Lol, I know i shouldn't brag or anything, but I do feel proud of myself!  I am learning so so much with Indie and he is learning a lot too! 

I've been reading this "Puppies for Dummies" book that a good friend let me borrow and it says that the first things that a puppy needs to learn is his name.... so that's what progress we've been trying to make.  Indie is now 11 weeks old and officially knows his name!  I am so proud of him and I for working together to get the name thing down.  Be it, when he is out in the back and he gets his little sniff on, there is no getting his attention and he just goes sniffin and sniffin and wont listen to anything.  But that's probably something he'll grow out of. 

The second most important thing that the book says that he needs to know is potty and where it is ok to go potty.Well, for the first week that we had him it was going great!  Until the tropical storm came and made everything wet and trust me... he's not the type that likes to be messy.  So, that being said he wouldn't go!  That was frustrating... he would go inside though!  Ahh!!!  So, after the strom passed and everything dried up he ventured out to the yard and is almost back to his normal schedule. 

Today was my first scare with him (mainly why I'm blogging, so I can look back and laugh at how worried and over reactive I was at this point in time with the first puppy in my life).  I wish that the book for dummies had answers on how to take care of a puppy that has a certain list of symptoms, but it doesn't, so the following is my first "Ahh!! what the heck do I do!?"

It was in the 90's today, and yes we had a storm come through like two days ago! and I know when I am hot I don't like to be outside, I just WANT TO BE COLD.  Anyways, I couldn't be home today because I had an all day training meeting for my job, it was all the way up in SLO and that meant that I couldn't be home to play, take Indie out, etc.  Well, I was thinking about the poor little fellow all day when I was up there because it was so darn hot!  I was thinking, "This is his first heat wave! And I'm not there to make sure he's drinking enough water and eating plenty and going potty."  Needless to say I was a worried mama.  I got home and he was excited as usual to see me, and then he just plopped down and didn't want to do anything.  I mean nothing!  He didn't want his favorite toy in the whole world; didn't want to eat or drink; and one time as he went to go and scratch his ear, the poor little one fell over out of exhaustion.  I knew it was too late to take him to the Vet and so I called my dad, he just said that I shouldn't worry and that he'll be fine.  Thanks dad, but that's not quiet what I was looking for.  I knew he would be fine, I just needed to know how to help him! 

I walked over to my neighbor across the street(who let me use her book) and took Indie with me.  I was telling them all the signs and symptoms... and they just laughed and said oh boy!  They just said that this was normal for a dog and that he was just really super warm and needed some where cool and to be cool.  Now, they also have a young poodle and so both our dogs played and chased each other around till the were both so tired and we were laughing so hard.  They were so helpful and I will forever remember tonight because of how worried I was and how overly motherly, I guess you would call it, I was.

No comments: